Nike Okundaye Says She Didn’t Go Beyond Primary School But Teaches PhD Students

Chief (Mrs) Nike Okundaye is a renowned textile artist and Managing Director, Nike Arts Centres and Galleries located in Lagos, Abuja, Osogbo, and her home town, Ogidi-Ijumu, Kogi State.




 As one of the country’s cultural ambassadors, Mrs Okundaye, through her creativity has been able to put Nigeria on world map. As part of her capacity building efforts among budding and established artists, she also facilitates workshops and training programmes in the US, UK, Italy and other countries across Africa and the Caribean. 

A committed artist and patriot whose career has spanned five decades, Nike causes a stir everywhere she visits. Her adire costume, and humongous headgear make her stand out anywhere. She is urging today’s youths to hone their talents and market properly instead of waiting for non-existing white collar jobs. She spoke to Daily Sun recently about her humble beginning, her journey into the arts, her style, what life has taught her and many more. Excerpts

At what point did you become famous?

It was the time I had a breakthrough to travel to the US and see how people over were making a living for them selves. That was 1974. After I returned to the country, I said to myself, if these people could package their arts properly, I should be able to do likewise. So, I began to train my colleagues, especially, the females on how to be self-reliant through their handiwork. I made sure I wasn’t working alone. I shared my knowledge.

How did you collect the works in your gallery?

Art is inborn. I’m among the fifth generation of artists in my family. I weave; I design Adire (tie and dye), I paint. I created some of the art forms but other artists did the other works. The works that were done by other artists, we help them to sell and they plough the money back into creativity. My works are for keeps. They are like babies to me. I don’t like to sell them. I only sell to museums. We have 15,000 Nigerian artists who work in this building out of about 35,000 artists. Nobody knew most of them but Nigerian arts is also gaining popularity like Nollywood. For example; there is a fair in London called One-54. 54 African countries came under one umbrella every October, to showcase African arts. People visit London during the fair to buy African artworks

In all these things, what has life taught you?

Life has taught me to be closer to my root, share knowledge and if you have an opportunity, grab it. That explains why I was able to seize the opportunity to travel to the US in 1974. When I got there, I engaged in teaching and I returned to Nigeria to teach my people here. Today, I have four centres. I was invited to Italy to teach some Nigerian girls on how they could work with their hands but not their body. It took me between 3-4 years to convince about 3,000 ladies to dump prostitution to become entrepreneurs in Italy. Presently, they are using their textile to design linen. They design for hollandaise and other textiles.


What would you like to be remembered for?

Mama Adire (Laughter) I’ll like to be remembered as an artist who promoted the culture of her own people. I like turn ing trash into treasure. For in stance, instead of burning rubber and polluting the air with its smoke, we’ve turned it to something you can put in your garden. These are stones but we have turned them to objects of protection. I want to be remem bered as an artist and a mother of artists.


What advice do you have for aspiring female artists?

They should know what they are good at. If they are good at cooking, cooking is art. They should focus on it and do it well. If they are good at sewing, they should sew well and short ly after, they will begin to make money. But if you are a graduate and you’re shy that people will call you a tailor instead of designer, please let them call you whatever they like, as long as you’re making your money. I want them to remain focused and the sky may be their begin ning.


Does your humility have to do with your background?

I lost my mother when I was six years old. My grandmother died and my great grandmother raised me. I grew up from nothing. I sold wares for my grandmother. That was why I was to be able to attend school up to primary six, so that I can express myself. I always thank God because, then, I could not speak English, For example, if I wanted to tell people that this is my work, I would say this is my signature. So, I didn’t stop learning. I learn from the younger people working with me. I tell them that if I make mistakes, they should correct me. I didn’t attend secondary school but today, I teach people abroad. I teach people with doctorate degrees. I teach in Harvard, Canada, Uk, and other African countries.


I was to be retained overseas as instructor but I said No, I wanted to return home and teach my people. Every minute I thank God for his grace over me, growing from nothing to become somebody.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.